Friday, January 31, 2014

How Many Requests?

The web used to work like this:

I send an http request by typing say "google.com" into my address bar, I get a single page back.

Simple, right? One request, one
page. No hassles. But then people wanted to add pictures to pages and the easiest way to do that was to make your web browser think you'd typed in a request for the image and send it back, so it became:

One request, one page that makes you send another couple requests for pictures.

Let's play a game I like to call, how many requests does it generate. Here are some results:

google.com/voice:

Cnn.com:


Facebook.com (This one surprised me, I was expecting a whole lot more)


So going to one web page is really like going to anywhere between 75 and 243 pages. It's not a problem, as long as the infrastructure of the internet can handle the load we put on it. But the next time it's a little slow, cut it some slack. It's handling a ton of activity to tell you how many likes your picture got.

No comments:

Post a Comment