Monday, July 29, 2013

Knee-jerk Scripting

Some people become programmers because they like math, some because they like video games, but most because they are lazy. That's right, lazy. Picture this scenario (the names have been changed to protect the guilty).


Lizzie comes by my desk to discuss a project. They're trying to migrate off one cms to another and want me to nam manage the worth for my team (hundreds, perhaps thousands of pages). My first question: "Have you guys scripted this already?"

Her response, "No. It would take to much time to figure out how to script this. We don't have time."

In my head, But you have the time to copy then all one at a time?

I asked around a little among some of the engineers and found out that Lizzie hadn't researched the scripting option at all. The ability to automatically copy pages was built into the api of both systems.

Scripting isn't always the answer to repeat tasks, but it usually is. To end this post, I'll reference xkcd.

Xkcd.com/1205

No comments:

Post a Comment